Report a Problem

If you see a problem in the stream, such as excess sediment/silt, oily sheens, strange colors, chemical/sewer odors or fish kills, please call as soon as possible to report it. Be prepared to provide the exact location, the date, the time, a concise description of the problem and your contact information.

Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection -

CALL 311 for most problems!

  • Water quality problems such as odors, oil or sediment
    • 311 -  After regular business hours, your call will be forwarded to a hotline.
  • Sediment runoff from a construction project
    • 240-777-6259 (county sediment control/permit services)
  • Blocked drains, overload of winter sand or salt, other road-related problems
    • 240-777-6000 (Department of Public Works & Transportation)
  • Illegal dumping (e.g., trash, construction materials)
    • 311
  • Report drainage from a neighbor's property
    • 240-777-3785 (housing code enforcement)
Information about reporting illegal dumping in Montgomery County is at 

Maryland Department of the Environment

  • Any type of problem
    • 1-800-633-6101 - M-F, 8 am to 5 pm 
    • 1-866-633-4686 - after hours & on weekends

Maryland Department of Transportation

  • Road side cleanup crews dumping sand and gravel left over from winter road application, dirt, leaves, etc. into streams or sewers.
    • 3-1-1

Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)

  • Water leaks, sewer overflows, sediment runoff as a result of WSSC activities
    • 301-206-4002 (24-hour WSSC emergency number)

Park Police

  • Suspicious or unsafe activity in the stream valley park
    • 301-949-3010 (emergency number)