If you see a problem in the stream, such as excess sediment/silt, oily sheens, strange colors, chemical/sewer odors or fish kills, please call as soon as possible to report it. Be prepared to provide the exact location, the date, the time, a concise description of the problem and your contact information.
Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection -
CALL 311 for most problems!
- Water quality problems such as odors, oil or sediment
- 311 - After regular business hours, your call will be forwarded to a hotline.
- Sediment runoff from a construction project
- 240-777-6259 (county sediment control/permit services)
- Blocked drains, overload of winter sand or salt, other road-related problems
- 240-777-6000 (Department of Public Works & Transportation)
- Illegal dumping (e.g., trash, construction materials)
- Report drainage from a neighbor's property
- 240-777-3785 (housing code enforcement)
Maryland Department of the Environment
- Any type of problem
- 1-800-633-6101 - M-F, 8 am to 5 pm
- 1-866-633-4686 - after hours & on weekends
Maryland Department of Transportation
- Road side cleanup crews dumping sand and gravel left over from winter road application, dirt, leaves, etc. into streams or sewers.
Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)
- Water leaks, sewer overflows, sediment runoff as a result of WSSC activities
- 301-206-4002 (24-hour WSSC emergency number)
- Suspicious or unsafe activity in the stream valley park
- 301-949-3010 (emergency number)